lunes, 24 de marzo de 2014

Interview with Luis Robles and Thierry Henry

En La Red caught up with portero Luis Robles and international star Thierry Henry after NYRB tied 1-1 with the Chicago Fire.

Luis Robles

ELRWhat does it mean for you as a player of Puerto Rican descent to represent and put Puerto Rico on the soccer map? 
LR- Well my dad is from Puerto Rico, I had the opportunity while I was growing up to spend almost every summer there. So Puerto Rico is definately part of my upbringing and part of who I am. Equally on the same side as my dad my mom being Korean, and I'm first generation american and even though my passport is from the US those two countries mean a lot to me. 

ELRIf it would come down to choosing either the Puerto Rican or US national team, who would you choose?
LR- When I first came out of college, I was called up by the Puerto Rican national team, but the timing did not work out. Then a year later, I got called up by the US national team so I've already played for the US and I think because of the game I played I'm already cap tied. 

ELRWhat did winning the Supporters Shield last season mean to you guys with New York's history of being trophy-less?
LR- Looking back at last year, it was a very special season. A lot of things that needed to happen towards the end, happened. Specially those last 9 games, that was something that I'll always rememeber. Some of the last minute goals we scored la

te in games to stay involved, and the big wins on the road down the stretch. That's something I'll hold dear and I'm very proud. It was an incredible moment to share not only with the fans but also with the guys. And that's something that no one will be able to take away from us.


Thierry Henry

ELRHow do you think winning the Supporters Shield will help this team win the MLS Cup? 
TH- Well, we lost the first game this season 4-1. So I don't think that last season matters. It was important for the team, for the club and for the fans, but this year is a new year and we have to play better and give more.We know it's never easy in this league specially on the road. But we need to keep it up. 

ELRWe hear a lot about the club having many new faces or making new signings that sometimes don't work out, how do you see the team?
TH- Yea, you hear that stuff but we feel good. In the opening game against Vancouver we had three new guys in the starting lineup and we have the guys on the team for a reason. Today's starting line up was almost identical except for Armando who was suspended. It's not only the new signings. We're glad to have kept the same base from last year to build on. We just need to keep working. I'm going on four seasons here and I know it's never easy be at home or on the road with new players or not. 

ELRWhat should we expect from New York this season? 

TH- Just keep getting better game by game and give our maximum. Today clearly was not a game that will be remembered in league history, but for us it was important to at least get a point. What I liked today was the fight we showed to come back after they scored and go home with a point.


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario